What age is appropriate for the first visit at the pediatric dentist?
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that the child’s first visit at the pediatric dentist should take place at the age of 1 year old or, at the latest, 6 months after the appearance of the first baby tooth.
- This early visit helps to detect in time the possible dental problems of the children, and the parents are informed about the importance of preventive measures.
- Also, with the help of this first visit, a relationship of trust is established between the pediatric dentist and the child.
- The recommendation of pediatric dentists is that the first visit should take place when proper treatment is not necessary yet, so that the first experience is comfortable and relaxed for the child.
Despite all these recommendations, in Romania, the average age at which children go to the dentist for the first time is 4 years and a half old.
In our country, most often, the child is brought to a first dental examination when he is already suffering from dental pain.
How the first visit goes at DENT ESTET 4 KIDS
Adaptation to the clinic
Before entering the dental office, the child interacts with the pediatric dentist and our team, so that through fun activities and games (brushing techniques, the strong teeth’s friends, the train, etc.), the child discovers the dental procedures before they are performed to him.
An important role in this process of adaptation is played by the friendly and playful environment specially designed for children, which creates, from the very beginning, a memorable and fun experience.
- It involves careful examination of the teeth and gums
- Checking the bite type
- Complex anamnesis targeting pre-existing general ailments, vicious habits
- Toothbrushing is performed only if the child is cooperating and should normally be performed before doing the dental treatment.
- The technique of brushing the teeth familiarizes the children with the sounds and sensations of the instruments in the dental office
- Thus, the accommodation is done gradually, “gently”, and the child accepts more easily the following dental interventions.
The pediatric dentist will make a personalized treatment plan for the child and will offer advice, information and recommendations about the oral care.
Why is an accommodation visit necessary?
The first visit to the pediatric dentist is an accommodation session, a fun and educational visit in which children::
- will meet the friendly team of the clinic
- will discover the environment specially created for them, the personalized dental office with animations and the spaces arranged according to the age category.
The accommodation visit to the dentist allows:
- Familiarizing the child with the equipment, sounds and instruments in a dental office
- Examination of the child’s teeth, identification of possible diseases of the gums, jaws and oral tissues
- Risk evaluation of cavities and recommendation, if necessary, for dental sealings
- Presenting the methods for preventing accidents and lesions of the oral cavity.
- Information about the normal development of the dental-maxillary structures (considering the age of the child, it could be taken into account an orthodontic evaluation).
- Examination of the bite and identification of possible vicious habits.
The accommodation visit, the techniques and procedures which are presented as a game, are specially conceived to create, during time, a pleasant and healthy relationship between the doctor and the child and to make his experience as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.
What happens when the child does not cooperate?
If after the second visit the child still doesn’t cooperate, the doctor can recommend to start psychological therapy sessions, realized in the clinic by our psychologist.
Most likely, behind an uncooperative behavior there are some emotional blockages, traumas, fears or hypersensitivity, which deserve special attention.
In a few customized meetings, through playing, role changing and desensitization, the patient is helped to:
- get over his negative emotions
- become cooperative and accept the interaction with his doctor
Make an appointment for a first visit and you will give your child one more reason to smile!